Welcome to the Season of Advent at Ebenezer
Come Join us for our special services:
- We have Mid-Week Advent Services every Wednesday at 9:00 AM or 7:00 PM
- Market Street Brass Concert will be Tuesday December 23rd at 7:00 PM
- Christmas Eve Service will be December 24 at 7:30 with special music starting at 7:00 PM
- Christmas Eve Midnight Service will be December 24 at 11:00 PM
- Christmas Day service will be Dec. 25 at 10 AM.
- New Year's Eve service will be on Dec. 31 at 7:30 PM.
The Church Year begins with the season of Advent which means, "coming." It is the four weak period right before Christmas in which we prepare to celebrate the coming of Jesus Christ into the world. As we look forward to the day of His birth there is, of course, much joy and gladness in our hearts. But there is also regret and shame. If it were not for our sins and shortcomings the Son of God would not have had to humble Himself in this way. The color of Advent is purple or blue which expresses this mourning and sorrow for sin. But especially the blue, while mournful, still looks to the coming of our great joy born of a virgin. This Joy was born into darkness and still comes into the midst of our darkness. During these weeks of waiting for the day of Christ's birth we are like the Old Testament believers who longed so eagerly for the Savior whom God had promised. We who look forward to the celebration of Christ's birth as a babe born in a manager still wait with eager expectation His second Advent. So as we remember the past and look toward the future we sing now in the present all the more fervently "Come oh Come Emanuel."(Excerpts taken from Daniel G. Reuning)